Saturday 9 April 2011

A double whammy day!

Having been abandoned by all and sundry today (basically meaning the boy!), I thought I'd take advantage of some "me time" and wreak havoc in the kitchen... and wreak havoc I did!

Mum gave me some rhubarb from her garden last weekend, and so I was more than chuffed to find a rhubarb and almond loaf recipe in my little pink bible. It all seemed very straight forward... although I must admit a slight moment of housewife weakness when I had to call my mum to double check "you do have to peel rhubarb, don't you?". Showing my inexperience there!


So I got my (peeled) rhubarb stewing away while I prepared the rest of the ingredients, whacked the lot (how Jamie Oliver of me!) into my one and only loaf tin with fingers crossed it was the right size (it was - just!!), and got to work making some Peanut Butter Whoopie Pies while the loaf spent the next 50 minutes baking away in the oven.

I've been looking forward to making more whoopie pies since receiving my delivery of marshmallow Fluff earlier in the week, so I still feel a bit deflated that they didn't "quite" go to plan.

What I consider to be the pie part - the "shell" - turned out fine, if a little rustic looking, but that I could cope with.


It was the "whoopie" - ie the filling - bit I had issues with. Whether I didn't whisk enough, or didn't chill enough (it has been unusually warm here today), I don't know... but my poor little whoopie pies didn't end up looking quite as neat and tidy as I'd have liked!



I haven't tasted one yet (out of protest!), but as soon as the boy gets home I will be shoving one in his direction and awaiting the verdict!

Back to my rhubarb and almond loaf... and it was a minor success!


I may have left the loaf a touch too long in the oven, or possibly not compensated for my fan assistance (I've never really had to in the past, but it may be different with this tin as it's rarely used), but it's only the top that looks a little tanned so I think I can get away with it!


And, having just had a sneaky taste, this one's pretty darn good (I'm super-modest!). The stewed rhubarb brings a bitter yet sweet taste, while keeping the loaf moist and crumbly all at once. It practically tastes like one of your five a day - just what I like in a cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment