Sunday 27 March 2011

Nice as pie

I thought I'd have my hands full this weekend with my little (BIG!) brother's 21st birthday cake to make, but while having a quick flick through my little pink Hummingbird bible (as us geeky cake enthusiasts tend to do over a cuppa) I stumbled across the Grasshopper Pie and thought it looked quick and easy to knock up. And I was right!

Now, call me a traditionalist, but I like my baked goodies to be, well, baked. If something hasn't hit the oven, then it's not baked. Cheesecake, in my (humble) opinion has to be baked for it to be "proper".

But this weekend I broke all the rules.

After hours spent baking, icing and decorating my brother's mahoosive birthday cake, I couldn't even bear to turn the dial on the oven. But, luckily for me, the Grasshopper Pie doesn't require any baking. The closest you come to any heat is melting a bit of butter and some marshmallows. The rest of it is putting dishes in the fridge and, literally, chilling out!



And that's all there was to it. I whisked, I melted, I threw things in a pie dish... and that's it. The Grasshopper Pie was born!

All I had to do then was convince a few young nieces and nephews that there weren't "actual" grasshoppers in it...


No comments:

Post a Comment