Thursday 24 March 2011

Rose Cupcake, anyone?

I was planning to make the uber pretty rose cupcakes from 'Cake Days' for Mothering Sunday, but I decided I couldn't wait that long (a whole other week!) and so have done them as a sweet gift for my step-mum's birthday.

The baking officially started at lunchtime today when I began what I thought was going to be a long and tedious hunt for the rose water. I'd never noticed it before while meandering the baking aisle at the supermarket, but soon stumbled across it in the local Waitrose.


The messy (read: fun) part started tonight! KC and I got beating and a'mixing as soon as I got home from work and the sponges were soon baking away in the oven. The scent wafting through was amazing... remember that floral perfume your mum or one of your friends' mum's would undoubtedly always wear when you were a kid? There was always one, wasn't there? But a nice, sweet scent. It's that. Pretty.

There were no hiccups with the sponges this time - beautiful, springy, full of air. I could be a baker, me!

The buttercream went without a hitch, too.

In fact, I'm fully expecting one of the handful of people who eat these to report food poisoning or something after tomorrow, considering how well the whole experience has gone so far!

Taking further advantage of this unexpected run of good fortune, I decided to try my hand at some "rolled roses". Well, being called Roses Cupcakes it seemed wrong to not decorate with roses, and I'm not very green fingered so it's not like I could just go and prune a few buds from the garden!




I don't think they're bad for a first attempt, but I have a long ol' way to go before I'll be anywhere near happy enough to start on the ones for my cousin's wedding cake I'm doing next year. Eep!


No comments:

Post a Comment