Monday 9 May 2011

It's for charidee






Today's the day of our charity cake sale at work, in aid of Great Ormond Street. One of our colleague's sons has been diagnosed with a form of cancer and so we wanted to do something to help, and thought what better way than to sell some cakey goodies?!

I decided to make some cupcakes, as these are easy to dress up and make pretty. I had some leftover buttercream that - for the first time ever - I had frozen, so I defrosted this and it seems to have turned out ok. I made the Hot Chocolate Cupcake sponge as the base... nice, easy recipe and a lovely moist and light sponge.


I then slathered the cupcakes in the pink frosting and decorated with pretty sweeties.


I am continually getting bugged by the token irish guy at work to make a coffee and walnut cake. I don't even like coffee! So, having read that the coffee and chocolate loaf from the Hummingbird isn't "too" coffee-y, I thought I'd give this a go.

My only bit of advice - that I'd do well to listen to myself! - is to read the recipe before you start. I got stuck in, creaming and beating... then got to the coffee bit. "Brewed and cooled coffee". Oops. Cue sitting around for ages waiting for a cup of coffee to cool! I also wasn't sure about the strength of the coffee. Not being a coffee drinker, I don't know what constitutes "strong", so I just heaped a load of granules in and hoped for the best.

This is what I ended up with!


I also did a recipe that I've done before, the Snickerdoodle cookie recipe, but instead of the cinnamon, I added chocolate chips and only rolled the cookie dough balls in sugar. They look and taste fab! I haven't got a picture, unfortunately, but think fat golden choc-chip cookies, and you've got it!

Cake sale starts at half ten... fingers crossed we make a tidy little sum for the Hospital!

No comments:

Post a Comment